Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1

TOPIC: Acute VS Chronic

Acute VS Chronic 8 years 10 months ago #12934

  • nasmc08
  • Offline
  • Posts: 3
  • Thank you received: 0
So from what I understand roughly 90% of children with ITP have only an acute case, while the other 10% have it chronically. In order for ITP to be considered chronic, does this mean that the child needs to have treatment more than once, or is it considered chronic if their platelets drop once and they receive treatment, and then their platelets drop a second time?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Acute VS Chronic 8 years 10 months ago #12935

  • alisonp
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1049
  • Thank you received: 114
Chronic is just a label that means that you've had a low platelet problem for over 12 months (6 months for some doctors). I don't think it means anything to do with whether you respond to treatment or re-treatment. Children can still go into permanent or temporary remission even after 12 months though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Acute VS Chronic 8 years 9 months ago #14345

  • shelley6591
  • Offline
  • Posts: 15
  • Thank you received: 1
We were given that information too Alison, my son was considered Chronic ITP after he had it past 6 months, he's now had it 4 years.

Shelley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Page:
  • 1
Moderators: jaycharness

BBB Cleveland logo GuideStar Seal NORD Member Badge 2018THSNA logo